Friday, September 26, 2008

tilt

I think Man really does a pretty good job sometimes of creating things that rival even the mountains and waterfalls and meadows and constellations in beauty. And if I'm being honest, I might even have to award an extra point to us mortals for so expertly and efficiently combining beauty with function. Not that mountains and waterfalls aren't functional--I realize that providing shelter and hydration are pretty necessary tasks--but then humans come along and add a water wheel and boom, this scene is more quaint and picturesque plus it can now provide enough power for an entire Swiss family.

My favorite man-made structure, though, has long been the windmill. Maybe it's because I got to go inside one once, maybe it's because of their frequent proximity to tulips, maybe it's because a good soundtrack was created around a particular red one. I'm not sure why I have such an affinity for windmills, but I think they are beautiful and strong and I love the idea that they are harvesting the air to turn it into something so usable. So you can imagine my delight when earlier this year, I looked southward and saw that the inversion had lifted its heavy, smelly blanket to reveal that a smattering of windmills had popped up! Right here in my very own valley! I've been wanting to get up close and personal with them ever since but it wasn't until a few weeks ago that I finally had an opportunity to take a drive through Spanish Fork canyon and get acquainted. Unfortunately I couldn't get any closer to them than my passenger seat would allow, but I think it's best that our first introduction be casual anyway. Now that we're a bit more familiar with each other I will undoubtedly be making another expedition that involves actually getting out of the car and walking right up to them, and you, dear reader, are welcome to come with me.

Just look at these nine little darlings!






They're definitely a bit more contemporary in design than those ferocious molinos of Don Quixote fame, but I think the windmills of this generation are just as magnificent as their ancestors.

For a parting gift, you really should go do a google image search of "windmill" right now; that first page of results is just so lovely.

5 comments:

Kyle said...

i suspect the real reason you like them is that they kill so many birds

Anonymous said...

I like to pretend you got your writng gene from me. I know that isn't true though. You are so descriptive. I love it.

Johanna said...

I think windmills are pretty, but those things I'm not so sure about. I'll still be friends though, even though you think they're pretty!:)

Anonymous said...

Tracy,

I have to say that I am partial to the kind you see in Holland.

Dad

Matsby said...

It just seems like such an outdated technology. Once they invented the coal burning engine, they should have made all wind mills coal powered.

 
.