Monday, April 28, 2008

the fourth, the fifth

It's difficult for me to acknowledge that the most moving and introspective experience I had on my recent trip to southern Utah took place in a pet cemetery. I'm not even into animals that are owned by people who aren't scientists. Most especially the three types most prominently represented at Angels Rest. Angels Rest, no apostrophe. Which makes the second word a verb, not a noun, which makes the name entirely more interesting. Most likely it was also entirely unintentional, but I'll forgive them their oversight since it works so well for their purposes. Obviously the beauty of the moment had nothing to do with being surrounded by graves and ashes of dogs and cats and birds, and everything to do with being in a place with the sun shining on me and vibrant colors as far as I could see and desert plants somehow thriving and the perfect amount of wind simultaneously causing the perfect amount of quiet and noise. And most of all, this glorious and awesome (and by that I do mean awe-some, old school definition) music resonating to me and through me from every direction, creating harmonies so lovely it was painful, gah, I had no idea harmonies and tones like that existed. I don't even want to say what the source of the music was because I feel like that would demean it; once I said what it was then everybody would think of their own experiences and think they understood but they wouldn't, it wouldn't suffice, it was more than that. Supposedly Vladimir Lenin said something about Beethoven's Appassionata, that he couldn't listen to it too often because it made him want to say kind things and stroke the heads of his enemies instead of beating them. This was music capable of such feats. I may have lived the most peaceful 30 seconds of my life standing in that cemetery outside Kanab.

I feel like this is a copy of a something I recently read, a too conveniently similar idea as expressed by someone else. It's not a copy, it's a coincidence.

10 comments:

Expavesco said...

the Minor fall?

Sounds like a really interesting experience.

ashley said...

I don't want to make you too jealous, but the rest of the world is celebrating Ben & Jerry's free scoop today... sorry you guys ran them out of town.

T.R. said...

I would have take Lenin far less seriously if he were a head stroker.

Hey, speaking of Lenin, Thursday is May Day!

T.R. said...

Oh yeah, and I think I know the song.

Tracy said...

Yes, yes, but more importantly, Thursday is Pharewell day.

Tracy said...

Ashley, wow. I go on your site and tell you how jealous I am of your wonderful life and your exciting adventures to places I hold dear to my heart, and then you come here and yet again make me feel bad for not having the same opportunities at my disposal. Let's ask John Okiishi or Mike Buxton what this says about the dynamic of our relationship.

Anonymous said...

Tracy,

I would not have known leaving the apostrophe off changed Angels from a noun to a verb...

Stairway to Heaven does that for me too.

Dad

Matsby said...

Pet cemeteries really exist?

I guess that's for people who don't have a garden...

or a toilet...

or a garbage can.

Kyle said...

whoa awesome, i listened to stairway to heaven the other day, and it hit me for the first time since... 9th grade maybe? i mean less awe-some peace and harmonies moving through me in every direction, and more "ROCK!" but still, cool, tracy's dad.

ashley said...

I voted! First time ever - not as exciting as I may have hoped. I'm changing my registration to non-affiliate so that next time my vote may matter.

And speaking of first-job-friends... Anna was at the LA temple for a different wedding, ran into her and her baby (!) outside. Crazy.

 
.